Kyphoplasty is a procedure which our Florida Surgery Consultants can perform. This is a process in which the doctor inserts and inflates a balloon to create an opening to inject cement after the balloon is removed. This is done to help relieve pain and improve mobility and other measures of bone functions.
A Kyphoplasty Procedure
During this procedure, you will lie on your stomach. The area in which the needle will be inserted will need to be shaved if necessary and then cleaned and sterilized. A local anesthetic will be injected into the same spot. These steps will be taken to complete the procedure.
- The surgeon inserts a hollow needle into your skin, with the aid of fluoroscopy, a type of x-ray, they use to guide the needle through your muscles into the correct position into your bone.
- They insert an inflatable balloon.
- The balloon is inflated to create the space needed for the bone cement.
- Once the space has opened up, the mixture is injected to fill it up. Image tests will be done, to confirm the cement has been distributed properly.
- Once the cement is in place, the needle is removed.
- The area is bandaged. No stitches will be necessary.
- Your IV and monitoring equipment is removed.
This procedure should take about an hour to complete and then you will head to recovery. Some soreness is expected, however, you will be asked to walk around and be engaged after your procedure. You will most likely be able to go home later that day. The only reason you would be kept overnight for monitoring is if, there were any complications or if your health was questionable. You will be asked to schedule a follow up appointment with us so we can make sure you are feeling great and healing just as you should.
If you have any questions regarding your kyphoplasty procedure, contact us at Florida Surgery Consultants to be sure you are healing the way you should be. We are more than happy to help you through this. This procedure is a quick and easy one to relieve your pain and get you back to everyday activities in no time at all.